Before Your Surgery
- Do not take anything to eat or drink 6 hours prior to your appointment. ABSOLUTELY no water, no liquids, and no food of any kind.
- No cannabis in any form or any recreational drugs, whether legal or illegal, for 24 hours in advance.
- Eat a light, easily digested meal the night before the operation.
- Get plenty of rest the night before the operation.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages the night before the operation.
- Arrange for a relative or friend to accompany you home after the operation. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Everyone must have a ride who will wait for you in our office.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing or short sleeves.
- Please remove contact lenses prior to surgery.
- Do not operate a motor vehicle or machinery for 24 hours following general anesthesia.
- Personal hygiene is stressed due to antiseptic reasons. Do not wear heavy makeup, jewelry, or perfume on the day of the operation.
- Freeze wet washcloths to use as ice packs after surgery.
- Have food on hand for after surgery. We suggest Jamba Juice, Ensure®, milkshakes, and Carnation® Instant Breakfast. Please do not use a straw.
- FOR WOMEN ONLY: If you are, or might be, or are trying to become pregnant, you should know that surgery and anesthesia can cause problems during early pregnancy and you should inform your doctor. Please consult with your doctor if you wish to rule out pregnancy before surgery.
- FOR WOMEN ONLY: If you are given antibiotics after surgery, they may cause oral contraceptives to be less effective. You should use a second method of birth control during each cycle that antibiotics are used.